September 14, 2008


I honestly don't know what I would do without laughter. If I didn't have the ability to laugh at myself I would be, well, very depressed. Ha. I am completely serious though. If I took myself seriously every time I did something idiotic I'd probably be dead by now.
But in addition to saving my life, laughter is also a vital part of my composition: joy to be specific. I already touched on this in an earlier post but I feel inclined to address it again, in another aspect.
How could I call myself a Christian and not be filled with joy? I understand that everyone has bad days and sometimes circumstances aren't all we desire. I have had days where honestly, I want to be grumpy. Something just gets to me and I take advantage of any excuse I can use to explain my discomfort. Someone asks me if I'm doing alright and I almost relish being able to say no and tell them why I am validated in my grumpiness. This doesn't happen to me often, but it occurs nonetheless. As I sit here and briefly meditate on my behavior on those days of self-imposed-misery, I am incredulous. Isn't this how two-year-olds act? Isn't it a younger child who often pouts when things don't go as desired? With all the children I have been exposed to during my life you'd think I would recognize bratty behavior in myself. You'd think.
Yet I am amazed at how many Christians I know who don't understand the joy that I usually have within me. Hang on a second, what is my testimony again? What has God done for me? How has He blessed me?
Oh. I see. And yet still there are days when I choose self-pity over joy. That makes perfect sense.
I feel like Eve. I let the world point out the one tree that I can't eat from, instead of the hundreds of others that I am free to enjoy. I let the one negative thing discolor the vast majority that is incredible. My perspective is distorted. I have equated joy with happiness, and that is a lethal mistake. I am loved by the King of the Ages and my best friend is the Creator. I can have joy in all that I do everyday, no matter what my circumstances dictate to me. So if anyone ever sees me choosing misery, please - hit me across the head or something and yell with the loving authority of God "Choose Joy!!"

7 Comments:

Blogger janelle said...

Well! Thank you! That was a wonderful way to start my day!!
Very good! But can I wait to be joyful *after* I've had my coffee?? Ha!
Love you!!

September 15, 2008 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

We should totally make t-shirts that say "choose joy" and wear them around with giant smiles on our face :D :D :D

September 15, 2008 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 15, 2008 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger .:meagan.rae:. said...

AMEN sista!!!!! :) I myself am having one of those day of choosing joy over what life throws my way!!! God is sovereign, and faithful no matter what comes our way. HE doesn't freak out and forget his plan for our life when we hit a road block. IN fact, most of the time those circumstances are agents to *slap* us and wake us up because WE have freaked out and forgotten the bottom line; that we're here for a God directed purpose. A purpose that = joy. love you alexa, you're a beautiful woman of God. :)

September 16, 2008 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Morgan said...

I love you Alexa Morgan (from Idaho)

September 16, 2008 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger JML said...

Oh my, you have no idea how much I want to fight people who take themselves too seriously.... I realize that wasn't your point to this post, but you understand that being able to laugh at yourself, even when someone else is poking a little fun, isn't bad!

September 16, 2008 at 10:42 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

I have been so grateful for that ability the past few months. It makes life so much easier!

September 17, 2008 at 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home