August 20, 2008

Nerds are hott. So is...God?

You know that love story where this quiet nerdy guy with low self-esteem falls head-over-heels in love with this pretty girl? He follows her around like a puppy dog and watches her every move. She wouldn't know him from Adam, and yet he has noted how many siblings she has, how she chews on her pen when she's nervous, and he has her license plate number memorized. Can you say obsessed? He stands next to her in the lunch line hoping to get her attention and every class they have together he tries to sit close to her. He helped her pick up her books when she dropped them in the middle of the hall, but she doesn't remember. He can even recall one day when she was walking past him and she smiled at him. He even remembers what she was wearing that day. He is that crazy about her. You don't know that story? Well now you do. I just told it to you.
No, I don't have a stalker (that I know of), and no, I am not a stalker myself. Nope. This is the picture that popped into my head while reading one of my favorite chapters, Psalms 139.
Now before you jump to conclusions about whether I was delirious at the time or got "drunk in the Holy Spirit" I can assure you that I was totally sane and I didn't read Psalms chapter 163. (get it? psalms 163? anyhoo...)
I saw this picture of myself going about my daily business with this guy following me around. He watched everything I did and knew everything about me. The guy was God. The chapter starts with,
"Oh God, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise. Your perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down. You are familiar with all my ways."
God knows every detail about me. He follows me and knows every move that I make. "Before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely oh Lord. You hem me in behind and before. You have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me. Too lofty for me to attain." I thought about the hem you sew on clothes. As a young girl learning to sew I quickly found that if you don't first make a hem, your material will come completely unravelled. God is the same way. He ties up the loose ends "behind and before". But so many times I don't even notice or give value to all that he does. He's the backstage help that doesn't get much credit.
"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there. If I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."
Wow. If that's not a good description of a stalker I don't know what is. Just think about that for a second. He's next to me when I sleep. He's by my side when I'm sitting on the porcelain throne. There isn't anywhere that I can go where he is absent.
"If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me, and the light become night around me', even the darkness will not be dark to you. The night will shine like the day. For darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being. You knit me together in my mothers womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
And then comes the part where the girl finally notices the young laddie. She realizes how much he thinks about her and how much he does for her without getting any attention in return.
"How precious to me are your thoughts oh God! How vast is the sum of them! If I were to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you."
Then if you skip to the last couple verses they finally start to build a relationship. She wants to get to know him better and she actually cares about what he thinks and what he sees in her.
"Search me oh God, and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."
As I read and reread this chapter, I couldn't help but be overcome by how much God cares about me. He sits quietly beside me on the couch, just waiting for me to give him a glance. I can't help but think of all the times that I have saddened him by talking to everyone else but him. And in those moments when I set time aside just to be with him, I can almost picture him blushing, and putting his hands behind his back, flattered that I would finally sit and talk with him. No, I don't picture Jesus as nerdy (although nerds are hott) and I don't think he's easily embarrassed, but I do think he longs to spend time with his children. Yes, he even has your license plate number memorized.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home