August 17, 2008

I'm a big kid now!

"Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."
-You've Got Mail




Now I may not live in New York, but that's beside the point. I absolutely love the start of a new school year. "Bouquets of newly sharpened pencils" sounds so picturesque, don't you agree? I can just picture in my mind a quaint little school house with a blackboard on the wall and a neat stack of books on the teacher's desk with a shiny red apple on top.
I have loved buying school supplies every year. Not only has it been three or four hours of shopping-turned-bonding time with my mom and three younger siblings, but it also resulted in many new exciting treasures. They ranged anywhere from backpacks to Pink Pearl erasers to those uber-cool mechanical pencils that come in tie-dye colors. My memory returns to the second grade when my mother personalized everything (lunch box, school box, pencil pouch, my clothes...) with fabric paint. In my second grade class picture I'm wearing an over-sized t-shirt with iron-on bunnies and fabric paint outlines. It definitely could have been worse, but it still amuses me nonetheless.
But this year, I don't need a lunch box. My school shopping list includes bedding, laundry detergent, kleenex, a coffee maker, and cool organizational boxes. It's a completely different feel. This year I'm on my own. Remember those pull-up commercials? That's me. "I'm a big kid now!"
Despite all the excitement that comes along with going to college, there is definitely a good portion of gloominess attached. My childhood is officially over. I have eight days left to "go out with a bang". All those wonderful childhood memories?...I don't get to make any more. That's it. Done. The end. El fin. "Nothin. Zilch. Nada." When adults used to tell me that becoming an adult isn't as much fun as it seems, and that I should enjoy my childhood while it lasts, I thought they were insane. But now that I'm finally here, I see that they were right. (dang it.)
So now I'm entering a new chapter; marching onward into an unknown territory. Hopefully I'll come out alright since I'm armed with strong weapons: God, a cell phone, and a french press. And this time, my things aren't decorated in brightly-colored fabric paint. I love you mom. :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post.! Fall is approaching and that means the beginning of the school year is nearing once again.

August 18, 2008 at 3:31 AM  
Blogger simplisticthoughts said...

Girl, you're going to love college!! It is such a neat experience- meeting new people, experiencing new things, etc. And the best part is tnat you know Jesus! So now you have something to impart to those campus dwellers! So proud of you and can't wait to hear of all the joys, truimphs, and even trials and frustrations. Love ya girl!

August 18, 2008 at 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to let my daughter read this who is going to the 12th grade...enjoy your freedom, I tell her...I can't wait to go to college she replies...But like you she loves Jesus and that in itself will get you through anything!!! God bless you in your new chapter in life.

August 19, 2008 at 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home