September 8, 2008

First Bicycle Adventure!

I rode my bike down to Starbucks today.
I have walked down there several times, but decided I should make use of my only mode of transportation.
Brilliant plan compared to walking, right? Normally it would be.
But not on garbage day.

The sidewalks are a bit narrow as is, but when everyone sets out their huge garbage bins that take up 3/4 the width of the cement, biking is a bit difficult.
I arrived to my destination eventually, and enjoyed an ice-cold Vivanno drink. Yumm. As hard as I try to work on homework, there are always a few times when I just have to listen to the conversations going on around me. People watching/listening should be one of my hobbies. Ha.

At the table just to my left, a father and his young son were playing a game of checkers. They were obviously having lots of fun and seemed to be spending good quality time together. After about twenty minutes, an elderly woman that had been sitting in the corner got up to leave. She stopped at their table and commended the father for just having fun with his son. They seemed to be having such a good time. Not something you see all that often anymore.
I was rather taken aback as I thought about this. How long has it been since spending quality fun-time with one's children became abnormal? This makes me so sad, and yet it holds a fair amount of truth. The busyness of life has taken captive so many parents, and as a result they don't see any time to invest in their children this way. My hope when I have children is to make the time whether I have it or not. Good thing that's a ways away yet. I enjoy riding my bike down narrow sidewalks by myself at the moment. Navigating around garbage cans would be a little more difficult with a kiddie-trailer hooked on the back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Caitlin said...

I went to Starbucks this morning and there was a grandma there that had brought her grandaughter and was reading a story to her while they waited for the mother.... it was cute :)

September 15, 2008 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Aww...that is cute. I love reading stories!

September 17, 2008 at 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home