July 28, 2008

Where's the food?

I have often wondered what kind of impact I will have on those in my life. What kind of legacy will I leave when I am no longer alive? What have I done to those around me to show the love of my Savior? How will people remember me? Will my life touch those around me, or will the people at my funeral only be asking one question: where's the potato salad?
Now I don't mean to make light the gravity of this topic. I'm really being serious. Never before today have I taken these thoughts so seriously. A few hours ago I attended a memorial service for the third time in my life. I am one of the rare people that has yet to experience the loss of someone close. The two previous services I have been to were for people dear to me, but not close enough to cause any real emotional damage. Even today, the person to whom almost a thousand people paid their respects was a person I barely knew: a simple acquaintance. But todays service "hit home" due to the fact that this person was only seventeen years old.
It is easy to know something in your mind, to be able to recite knowledge. But it is another thing entirely to process that information to the point of understanding. Today I finally processed the mortality of humans.
Life really is ambiguous. There is no way to know how many seconds we have left. I have known this. And yet I must regretfully say that I waste much of my time doing trivial things. How much time have I wasted watching movies, "hanging out" without doing anything productive, or even being on the computer? I doubt that when I get to heaven Jesus is going to come up to me and say, "Alexa! You watched the movie Pride and Prejudice a total of 1,213 times during your life. Well done good and faithful servant!" So what have I been doing that counts? What have you been doing? I challenge you today to find joy in the little things. Make each day as if it were to be the best and last day of your life. Don't let the sun set upon your wrath. Live with no regrets.
Make memories so that people can share for hours how they have been touched by your life. Pour God's love on those around you every chance you get. Impact every person that you encounter, and I guarantee you they will have more to think about than the potato salad at your funeral.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home