July 3, 2008

Joy.



I can't tell you how many times I have felt like an idiot when I drive down the road with a huge grin on my face. I often find myself alone in my car when this feeling of ecstasy hits me. Sometimes it's a humorous incident of the past that comes to mind, or maybe something stupid I did which requires my good humor so I can "laugh it off" and not dwell on my complete ignorance. There are other moments when I am simply in awe of how freaking amazing my Savior is, and no matter how hard I try I can't wipe that stupid grin off my face.
The thing that bothers me though, is how I feel out of place when I smile ridiculously. I honestly don't mind playing the fool when I am justified in my joy, but why is it that so many around me seem dull and dreary? It saddens me to see the multitudes of people that don't know their purpose in life and therefore cannot understand the feeling of true joy. As a Christian, and even as a mere human, I feel I am obligated to share that which has made me smile. I find joy in the evidence of God's handiwork everywhere I look. As cliche as that may sound, I can't overstate its truth. When chasing a ten-month-old with flaming red hair around the floor yesterday, his giggles and screams of excitement made me laugh so hard my eyes were watering. Later as he fell asleep in my arms, I was overwhelmed not only by my love for him, but what God's love for him must be. Even though he's not my child, I love him dearly and am very protective of him, as with most kids I watch. How much deeper and stronger God's love for his children must be. These are the thoughts that cause me to smile and give me a desire to share that love with everyone. So I've created a new driving technique. Instead of attempting to stifle my delirious giggles as I drive, I try to make eye contact with everyone driving by. And then.... I smile at them head-on. Because I simply can't help it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home