July 24, 2008

No.

I have often wondered how old one must be to learn the art of stubbornness. In the past several weeks I have come to realize that the answer is probably a younger age than you might think. I have learned this from personal experience. Constantly I have been amazed by the various ages of children that I "supervise" if you will. They never cease to grant me new insight or reason to laugh; or become frustrated. I am amazed when a ten-month-old can show defiance. He's not old enough to walk, and yet when told "No" he looks at me, gives me that adorable grin that says "whatcha gonna do about it?" and proceeds to reach for the electrical socket. Obviously you don't need the ability to talk in order to comprehend the all-powerful two-letter negative.
But even in the slight frustration that this causes, I just have to turn away and laugh where he can't see my smile. "The little booger!" I think. After many, many, many hours spent with THOUSANDS of children (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating just a bit), I have realized even more how important it is to raise your child in the ways of God right from the womb. I find it rather disheartening that most people don't grasp this concept. Case in point.
My family and I went to a baseball game at the Hawks Stadium just last night. Two seats to my left, a girl about the age of two was with her young dad and grandparents. Whenever she didn't get what she wanted she screamed and pulled away. And how did the adults respond? They gave her what she wanted. I wanted so badly to go over to them and say "Just say no. Stay firm in your decision and don't give in when she throws a fit. Then she'll know how to manipulate you to get what she wants." But of course I didn't. I'm only eighteen, people. I should not know more about disciplining children than real parents. And in many cases I don't.
So I guess I'll be awaiting the day that I have my own children. I'll love it for the joy and happiness they bring as much as for the satisfaction of being able to say, "See how he actually listens to his mom? That's right. That's MY kid."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home