January 8, 2009

One of my favorite scenes from the newest Pride and Prejudice movie goes like this:

Mr. Bennet: “How happy for you, Mr. Collins, to possess a talent for flattering with such... delicacy.”
Elizabeth Bennet: “Do these pleasing attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment, or are they the result of previous study?”
Mr. Collins: “They arise chiefly from what is passing of the time. And though I do sometimes amuse myself with arranging such little elegant compliments, I always wish to give them as unstudied an air as possible.”
Elizabeth Bennet: “Oh, believe me, no one would suspect your manners to be rehearsed.”

I feel like this is the story of the majority of my visits at Starbucks. While there may be a slight few exceptions, it seems as though the light-hearted gaiety of the baristas are somewhat…how to say this…premeditated: forced. To be perfectly honest, I feel as though their obviously feigned bubbly-ness is just downright ridiculous. I look forward to the day when I ask one such maker-of-expensive-caffeine how their day is going, and they answer that it could be going better. I would prefer to have honest people to converse with rather than absurdly happy people. Don’t take me wrong. I’m sure this situation has a lot to do with the company itself rather than the actual people. But I wonder if either understands the difference between happiness and joy. I’m not attempting to be critical. There have been a few situations where it seems that they are genuinely happy. I struggle with this myself sometimes. Just thought I’d make an observation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home